Whenever a QuickBooks user performs activities like refreshing, downloading, or opening their account, then they might face this QuickBooks error 61. Here in this blog, we are providing all the information regarding this error code and how to fix error 61.
What is QuickBooks Error 61?
QuickBooks is a software used for accounting purposes by many businesses to manage their relevant documents, files, and data systematically. This issue can occur when someone downloads any file, refreshing pages, at the time of printing, when uninstalling Windows, etc.
Reasons behind Error 61
- When there is an improper framework activity takes place.
- Your PC is infected by any malware or virus.
- Damage in .QBW or QuickBooks for Windows spreadsheet file.
- Corruption in .TLG and .ND file or configuration file.
- Some invalid sections in Windows registry after the un-installation of Windows.
- Framework or any application activity fails to run its function.
- Any framework registry is missing.
These all are the critical reasons behind this error. Now, let us begin with the ways to fix it.
Steps to fix QuickBooks Error Code 61
The first thing that you have to keep in mind is to take a backup of the QuickBooks data file before you fix it. Then, start fixing it by the following steps:
Fix 1: Using an Antivirus Scan
Use Windows Defender or any third-party antivirus to perform a deep scan. This scan will isolate the threat and thus help to resolve QuickBooks error 61. If the virus or malware is still present on the system, the error may reappear.
Fix 2: Installing Updates of QuickBooks Software
Verify and install the latest update of this software. This update may fix all kinds of bugs and error 61 as well. Follow the below instructions:
Initially, visit Help >> Update QuickBooks.
- Hit on Update Now.
- Choose the latest available updates and hit on Get Updates to download.
- Now, close QuickBooks software and again open it. The software will show you the update of QuickBooks then hit on Yes.
- Wait for its completion, after installing the updates, reboot your system.
Fix 3: Selecting Rebuild Data Option
- Visit tab File >> Utilities >> Rebuild Data.
- Then you will see Backup your company file message then hit on OK.
- Wait for some time until ‘QuickBooks is not responding’ message is appearing.
- At last, if a message ‘Rebuild has completed’ appears, then hit on OK.
Fix 4: Cleaning Windows Registry
First, install a registry cleaner app like CCleaner. After installing, launch it and open the CCleaner app on your PC. Then follow the given steps below to remove undeleted registry files and to fix QuickBooks Error Code 61:
- Go and hit on the Registry option.
- Then press Scan for Issues >> Fix Selected Issues…
- Next, tap the Yes button and then select a path to save the registry backup.
- Hit on Fix All Selected Issues.
- At last, exit the CCleaner and restart the system.
Fix 5: Restoring Company File
- Initially, launch the QuickBooks latest version on Desktop.
- Visit the File tab and hit on Open or Restore Company.
- Choose Open Company File >> Next.
- Start searching for the data file and then hit on Open.
- Next, follow the dialogue box instructions if ‘Move the file’ message appears.
- Note the data shown in Update Company File for New Version.
- Hit on ‘Update Now’ and follow the upcoming instructions.
- Then you will see a message ‘You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks… Do you want to continue?’. After this, hit on Yes.
- Next, copy and store the backup you created and search for .qbw files.
- After finding the .qbw files, locate the file, and check for payroll service and choose the Account Info/Preferences.
Fix 6: Reinstalling .NET Framework
Follow the below steps to reinstall and repair the .NET framework:
- First, click on the Windows icon and then in the search box, type turn windows features on or off.
- Open Turn Windows features on or off.
- Choose .NET checkboxes and press ‘OK’
- Press ‘Let Windows Update download the files for you.’
- At last, after installation, restart your system.
If you are using multi-user in Quickbooks enterprise with hosting then you should contact the error support for deep technical support because it’s not easy to handle in such a case. Otherwise, in case of an individual user, by following the method mentioned above, you can fix QuickBooks error 61. These manual solutions will help you to move out of this state, and you will again use error-free QuickBooks software.