The gimmick that Google used on the world to convince is that Gmail had infinite storage. They alleged that “Users don’t have to delete their emails,” But nearly after a decade their all claims proved false. Google at present offers 15GB of free storage to save items on Google Drive, Google Photos as well as Gmail account. Although it seems more than enough for an average user, the free space can create havoc if you forget to delete irrelevant emails and large attachments.
Whenever the storage limits exceed it throws an error message “Gmail Quota Exceeded” and resist the users to send or receive more emails. That’s why I’ve rolled up my sleeves and came up with some useful tricks to check the Gmail storage limit and how to free up space in the Gmail account?
Check What is Keeping Your Gmail Space Full
You know how to manage Gmail account storage. It’s important to keep an eye on our storage space distribution as the storage space is allocated amongst Gmail, Google Photos, and Google Drive. To investigate the Gmail storage:
- Open the Drive storage page and choose “View details” You can now see the distribution of your storage space and space consumed by Gmail account.
- This will help to let you know which service is consuming a large space. Now you can clear up space from that service.
Fact_O_Verse: Do You Know?
Take Gmail Mistakes Back!Don’t Know!
If you somehow sent a wrong email to a user or to a wrong user than don’t feel guilty. Now, you can undo sent emails by just going to Labs tab in settings and then select the Undo Send. Here, enable the Undo Send and you can take back the send emails for a particular time.
5 Methods to Clear Space in Gmail Account
Free Up your Google Drive and Photos Storage
Google provides 15GB storage to its users which are shared among various Google services, especially Google Drive and Photos. Let us suppose if you have 10GB images uploaded to Google servers, the space left for your Gmail profile is 5GB.
Now, if you are running out of space, it is always better to clean up some extra space by checking how much space is being consumed by Google Drive and Photos. If you have unnecessary files in your Photos and Google Drive, delete them right away. That will eventually allocate the free up space for emails.
Bid Adieu to Gmail Junk
Google Gmail provides different tabs. Among these tabs, Inbox is the primary tab that stores all of your important emails. However, then there is Social, which keeps the updates from LinkedIn, Facebook, and other social networking sites and Promotions where you get emails from your banks, clothing brands, shopping centers. Most of the time these emails are irrelevant and eat up our Gmail space. Therefore, when you are running short of space, it’s better to delete them.
Delete the Old Emails
There is no need to keep the conversations you had with your friends 10 years ago about the random topics in your inbox. If you don’t want the clutter of old emails in your mailbox, just look for them. The method is quite easy. Just open the email search bar and type “older_than:1y”. Once all the mails will be sorted, delete the ones that are not required.
Migration of Emails from one Gmail to another Gmail
If you want to keep all your important emails and you don’t want to delete any of them, then you can simply move them to another profile. You can migrate emails to another account by following these simple steps:
- Form a new Gmail profile.
- Now open the settings of old Gmail account from which you want to move your Gmail emails.
- Select “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” from the upper menu and enable the option POP for all mail, and select “delete Gmail’s copy” option from the drop-down menu
- Now, open the settings of the new Gmail profile and choose “Accounts and Import” from the upper menu. Press “Import mail and contacts” .
- A dialog box will appear on your screen. Now provide the email from which you would like to import the emails, press Continue.
- Now another window will appear to seek your permission. Press “Allow” and then select the import options and press the “Start Import” icon.
- Now, wait until Google transfer all your old emails to your new profile. Once it’s transferred, you can see all your old emails in your new profile:
However, this method comes with a limitation that the process of transferring the old emails to a new profile is time taking and sometimes it can take one week.
Professional Gmail Backup Software
Moreover, to get rid of all the hassles while transferring emails from your old Gmail profile to a new Gmail profile there is an alternative option for it. This tool Gmail Backup Software can help you migrate your emails from Gmail to another email client. It offers some exclusive features which includes
- Safe Migration of Gmail emails to other email clients such as Yahoo, Outlook, Thunderbird and other Gmail profile.
- Users can save Gmail data into multiple file formats such as PST, MSG, EML, EMLX, TXT, etc.
- Pause and Resume allow users to pause the backup process and resume it afterward.
- Date Range Filter to perform the selective backup of Gmail data.
- Simple and Self-descriptive GUI.
- Compatible with all the major versions of Windows and MAC OS.
In this blog, we have discussed on how to free up space in the Gmail account. Don’t know about others, but I certainly get heaps of emails and despite regular Gmail clean up my trash folder mounts up and eats up the free space. Remember that the trash folder will still consume space. Gmail automatically deletes the emails from the trash folder after 30 days and you are required to clear your trash regularly. Therefore to overcome such chaotic situation it’s better to use a professional third party software i.e Aryson Gmail Backup Software.
You Might Like: Export Gmail to PST of Outlook