Exchange Server 2003 offers a feature(exmerge.exe) to export the database file(.edb) to the PST file like other versions but there is a problem with this feature. Whenever a user tries to export the database over 2 GB, it creates mailbox over 2 GB issue. It creates hurdles when the user needs to export exchange 2003 mailbox of over 2 GB. So, let’s figure out the solution to this issue.
Why Mailbox Over 2 GB Can’t Be Exported Successfully?
Due to some logical issues in the algorithm of exmerge utility, the PST file over 2 GB can’t be processed in Exchange Server 2003.
exmerge.exe by Microsoft is a salient way to export all the exchange database in-process and non-SMTP messages to MS Outlook PST. It helps the exchange administrators to recreate the lost Outlook profiles if the corruption in PST files is severe and they can’t be healed. So, before starting the exportation process of the exchange mailbox, it is advised to verify below key-points:
- You have enough rights and permission to make changes.
- Enough knowledge about Exmerge.exe and how it works.
- Configuration of exchange server for data transfer and exportation.
- Not too much size of the mailbox to export.
- The mailbox should not be offline else the utility won’t work.
After the whole verification process, you should follow the below steps:
- Download exmerge.exe and launch it.
- Select option Import/Export and hit the Next button.
- Click on the message “Select Data from Exchange Server Mailbox” and click on the Next button.
- Enter the mailbox’s server name.
- Select the mailbox database location and check single or multiple mailboxes to extract. Then, click on the Next button.
- Navigate to the target directory, select the location for storing the PST file and click on the Next button.
- Soon the data will get saved on the desired location.
Fact_O_Verse: Do You Know?
A Plethora of Functions! Don’t Know!
Exchange Server 2019 offers so many features that makes it an brilliant solution to the users. Users get an secure environment and fewer moving parts as attack base. Its new search infrastructure allows mirroring the cloud scalability and reliability of Exchange Online.
Export Exchange 2003 Mailbox to PST Over 2GB Without Any Issue
The problem is exmerge.exe which doesn’t support the exchange 2003 mailbox over 2 GB. It also doesn’t support Unicode PST. So, the best way to export mailbox data is by using Outlook. It lets you export the mailbox data to PST file. For doing so follow the below method:
- Launch Outlook on your system and click on the file menu.
- Select Open and Export > Import/Export > Export to a File.
- Then, click on the Next button.
- Now, select the export to PST and click on the Next button.
- Select the email profile to export and check Include Subfolders. Hit the Next button.
- Click Browse to select the saving location and click on the Ok button.
- After the completion of the process, click on the Finish button.
The problem with this method is, you can only export one email profile at a time. So, for doing it for all the Exchange 2003 profiles, it will require a lot of time and effort.
Automated Solution to Exchange 2003 SBS PST Export
The best way to perform the task without Mailbox over 2 GB issue is to use an automated solution. It will take the EDB file and will convert it into PST file with ease. There will be no size limitation of the PST size as well. It also lets you split the PST file after the exportation process, which makes the handling of resultant PST easier. The solution is EDB to PST Exporter, which can be operated using the following steps:
- Launch the utility tool and add EDB & STM file by clicking on the browse button.
- Select the version of the Exchange EDB and provide recovery mode as Standard if not corrupt.
- Then, click on the Next button.
- Take the preview of all the mailboxes and data, then click on the Save button.
- You can remove duplicate emails and can also filter the email items. Click on the Next button.
- The tool will let you save the EDB data as a new PST or you can add it in a new PST file. Hit the Next button.
- Soon all the Exchange 2003 EDB data will get saved on the defined location.
The algorithm of the exmerge.exe doesn’t allow the Exchange 2003 admins to export the mailbox over 2 GB size. As a resolution, you can export mailbox using the Outlook but that will be a time taking process if you are having so many accounts. So, the best resolution is to use the EDB to PST Exporter which lets you export Exchange 2003 mailbox of more than 2 GB to PST format. I hope, it helped you out.